The Hong Kong Council of Social Service (HKCSS) launched the "Community Housing Movement" in September 2017. As the intermediary of the Movement, HKCSS establishes and operates a collaboration platform to bring in the joint efforts of landlords, social welfare agencies, professional bodies and different sectors of the community to provide affordable and decent transitional social housing to the grassroots without public housing support. The SIE Fund and the Community Chest have jointly provided HKCSS with a grant for funding the setup of the platform and operational expenses of the intermediary during the three-year operation of the project.
The Hong Kong Council of Social Service
Capacity Building Project
Approved Funding Amount
Funding Period (months)
Impact / Expected Impact
- Provided 506 housing units to benefit 650 grassroots families
- Improved living conditions, neighbourhood relationships and well-being of the grassroots families
- Enhanced grassroots families’ understanding on resources available in society
- Drew up practice guidelines to support operators in the implementation and management of projects
- Enabled operators and frontline social workers to acquire skills and knowledge in recruiting, matching and connecting tenant households, as well as in property maintenance, etc.